The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Weeds Still Brush Against Arms and Legs

July 21, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  I have to leave for work about 4, and take Mway out about 2:45.
State of the Path:  Since I also want to get in a swim before I leave, I’m pretty much in a hurry today.  Most interested in how the path fares where I clipped yesterday: while weeds no long hit me across the chest, they still, for the most part, brush my arms and legs, but this is an improvement.  Wonder again what the purple wildflowers in bug land are – wish I had time to scour through the Audubon; this plant must be in there somewhere.  Eat a dozen blackberries on the way to the strawberry patch, all of them sweet and juicy, with a slight musty undertaste to them.
State of the Creek:  In the pool beneath the black walnut tree, notice some sort of aquatic plant.  Don’t think it’s duckweed; it has spiky leaves like goose grass.
The Fetch:  On the second fetch, Mway backs away from the “pro-quality” stick as if it’s bitten her, then looks back at me, with one paw raised, as if to plead “Time out.”  Never saw her assume such a stance before.  I have no problem with stopping at this point, though, and start walking toward the stick.  Mway picks it up and heads toward the house.  Moi’s student Alma has arrived, with treats, and perhaps Mway knew this.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Yes, a woman music student in one of the parks, a bluesish busk band in the Union Square subway station.

Anonymous said...

Did you eat a hot dog? M.