The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, October 7, 2011

Bluejay Sounds Like Crow

October 7, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  I have to work tonight, but I also have some day work I should do before then.  Moi has gone out – I forget where she said she was going.  Squeak is asleep in the bathroom sink, so I had to go downstairs to wash my hands after using the toilet.  Mway has shut the door upon herself in Moi’s room.  Right now seems like the best time to take her for a walk.  It’s 11:20 – whoops, Moi just came in the door; I’ll have to see if she wants me to do something.  No, Moi doesn’t need me for anything; she’s doing something right now with Ezra, who’s been rebuilding our front porch, part of the maintenance work on the house that Moi has instigated this year.  So I’m going to put on my walking clothes, then I’ll open the door for Mway to let her out.
State of the Path:   Before I can finish getting dressed, my day employer calls me.  Seems they have a client who wants a job done right now.  I can’t at first find the birch branch, so I pick up a monkey-vine kind of stick from the music room, a little shorter than I like, but I think this might be nice, but then I see the birch branch in the middle of the yard, and take that.  A rabbit scoots across the path at the pig pen.  Mway, coming from the weeds, shoots after it, but soon gives up pursuit.  Then she takes a series of dumps, having trouble with me walking right up to her as she’s trying to poop.  Past the sumacs, she finally gets everything out she needs to.  Beneath the bright sun, the goldenrod all looks faded.  Down by the creek, I see a bluejay.  Hear it make a sound like a crow, and I think, so bluejay sometimes sounds like crow.  Spot a cardinal in the same tree with it.
State of the Creek:  Flowing gently.  The rocks, which looked so black and cold all summer, look warm and brown beneath the water.
The Fetch:  Toss the stick so Mway will end up beating down the wedge of goldenrod.  On about the fourth fetch, Mway flings the stick against my shin, and I yell out “Ow.”

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

I’m sorry – it’s often hard for me not to assume a patronizing stance toward you, given the relationship we traditionally have toward one another. Do you mind my asking what your novel is going to be about?

Anonymous said...

Right now, I need your assistance. I’d you to set out some reading materials for the research I plan to do for it. MM.