The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Snow Squalls

December 15, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  I have rush work to do today, and I also have to work tonight.  I just heard Moi going outside with Mway, and Mway barking, for a short time anyway – I’m not going to be able to take her for a walk this morning.  Maybe I can squeeze in a quick walk this afternoon.  I get home about 2:30 and just have time to take Mway for a walk before I have to leave around 4.  Mway greets me in the driveway, and as I rush through the cold, follows me to the door.  Moi is at her laptop, and after she tells me how this morning she barely avoided driving into a snow squall and how one of her students then called to cancel her lesson because she was in a car accident in that very same snow squall, I ask her, as Mway is pacing around the table, “So what’s up with her?  Does she need a walk?”  Moi tells me the Boy, who’s home for a few days, just took her out.  “Good,” I say, “Then I don’t need to do it.”  While I’m rolling cigarettes for tonight, the Boy comes in the door and tells me, “I took Mwayla out, but not for very long.”  “Well,” I say, “I’m not going to take her out.”  Long ago I decided I was only going to keep up this journal for a year, and the time for finishing it up is drawing near – 9 days to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A for Heeler cont. – MM

Chapter 17

Query quickly quirky quaking, qualmbesetting Queenslandish quicksandy quid quo qua qua qua. Quaff quickie, quit quibbling quarrels. Quan’t question quarks’ quixotic quorum.