The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Sunday, May 22, 2011

That Was the Name Thereof

May 22, 2010.  Saturday.
Situation:  Moi and I work in separate places tonight.  I take Mway out about 3:00.  Moi decides to come along.  “Why aren’t your barking, Mway?” she asks.  And I say it’s because she knows I don’t like her to bark.
State of the Path:   We look at the small apples coming out on our apple trees; I point out what I think is the white mulberry tree to Moi, and she points out that it looks like they’re starting to get mulberries; and then we set down the side path along the old orchard, where I have my first question for Moi.  “What is this stuff coming up?” I ask her.  “That’s goose grass, or bedstraw.  Feel how sticky it is,” she says, reaching down to touch it.  “Does it get a flower?” I ask.  “No, I don’t think so,” she says.  Later we see more goose grass down by the creek – it is much higher, and it is indeed getting tiny little flowers (but I don’t find any photo or reference to goose grass in the Audubon, and the northern snow bedstraw pictured in there looks like nothing we’re looking at).   We walk by the black raspberries – and I call them that because Moi agrees with me that that is what they are, and we both recall one other thing that distinguishes the black raspberry from the blackberry:  the purplish cane (as compared to the reddish cane of the blackberry).  I sweep aside some may apple leaves to find the new yellow apples that Moi told me yesterday to look for.  “You got to be more gentle with the way you touch them,” she says.  Moi starts picking some sweetgrass.  “Is that Virginia creeper growing in there?”  I ask, pointing inside the orchard.  “I’d say,” she says, “And jungle size.”  We go by some white flowers that Moi first thinks is on a multiflora bush – but I’m able to point out to her that they are on a blackberry and that the multiflora flowers are very similar.  “What kind of grass is this?” I ask.  “That’s timothy,” Moi says.  “What kind of bush is that?” I ask, pointing to the shrub I was trying to trample to death earlier in the year.  “I’m not sure,” Moi says. “I don’t think it’s a red willow.”  “And see these,” she says, past the wigwams down in bug land, “this is field bracken.”  “Aren’t those ferns?” I ask.  “No. Field bracken.  Look it up in the book.”  “And these bushes here, are they elderberry bushes?”  I ask.  Moi isn’t sure what they are, but she looks at the as yet green buds coming out, and agrees with me that they are worth keeping track of.  Down by the creek, I point out the little white flowers that I noticed the other day, but Moi doesn’t know what they are either – I pick a specimen to take back with me, but still I’m unable to find anything that looks like it in the Audubon.  Later along the ridge around bug land, I notice another new flower, a yellow one – and stuff a specimen of this also in my pocket – also unable to find anything like it in Audubon.  On the other side of the ridge, Moi feels a small shrub.  “This might be an elderberry,” she says, “No.  Maybe not.”  “Sometime before the weeds get too high,” she continues, “we should walk up in the field there and look at the sassafras tree.”  “Oh,” I say, “Is that where it is, up there somewhere?”
State of the Creek:  A lot of locust flowers lying on top of the still pools of water.  At the feed channel, Moi picks some of the sweetflag for me to smell.  The feed channel, for the first time this year, is dry, and we both walk across it onto the crest of the skating pond, Moi stepping in the mud.  We walk in opposite directions along the crest of the skating pond.  “Those phlox are pretty,” Moi says.
The Fetch:  Bring along the “pro-quality” stick today.  I wait for Moi to get past me, before I toss it.  About five fetches.  On the way back to the house, we notice plums coming out on the plum trees by the garden pond.  “They came out like that last year but then disappeared,” I remark.  “Yeah,” Moi recalls also, “I don’t know what happened.  It might have been when I was taking care of Jazz last summer, and just wasn’t around when they were ready to pick.”

4 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

So how did you arrive at the concept of the first personal pronoun?

Anonymous said...

This is one of the hardest concepts for a nonspeaking creature to grasp. There is nothing like it in the language of scents, since that language is aggregately composed, so to speak, written by no single individual -- composed, I suppose you could say, by a community of actors. True there is a concept of self. I can come across my own scent in the field, recognize it as such, and think something like “that’s just my own scent, nothing interesting here.” But a scent that signifies “the one who is speaking” simply doesn’t exist. Scents only present a third-person narrative, but it’s not even thought of as such, since there’s no first-person narrative to distinguish it. What could I make of this word “I” then? For a time I thought maybe Taxi Dog, the Gingerbread Man, and the various Dr. Seuss characters were all the same creature, a strangely metamorphosing thing called “I.” But I was finding “I” in all kinds of books, and in close proximity to pictures of people too. Could “I” then be just a general word meaning “any kind of creature.” For a time this is what I thought, though I was disconcerted that, since “I” was a thing, I never saw it accompanied by an article, never saw “the I” or “an I.”

sisyphus gregor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sisyphus gregor said...

Following is an abstract of a recurring event of most of 2010, which I refer to on January 22 but did not have or take the time to mention much in my journal. I include the abstract here, as a framing device, because the event has some sort of relation to the journal’s central action.

Court of Common Pleas
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania vs. Sisyphus A. Gregor

Conditions of Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition Program

Condition #8 “The defendant will report regularly to his Probation Officer, as directed. Your reporting date is the [22nd of the month].
Each month you will phone the CALL-TRACK number. When you call the automated system, you will be asked to enter your social security number, then state your name. The questions are answered by pressing the appropriate key to respond “yes” or “no.” If your answer requires clarification, you will be prompted to respond.

1. “Has your home address changed in the last 30 days? If your answer to this question is “no,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]
2. “Has your phone number changed in the last 30 days? If your answer to this question is “no,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]
3. “Has your employment status changed in the last 30 days? If your answer to this question is “no,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]
4. “Have you had any contact or been arrested by any law enforcement agency since your last call? If your answer to this question is “no,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]
5. “Have you made your required payment toward fines, costs of restitution since your last call? If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “no,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]
6. “Are you in compliance with your recommended counseling? If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “no,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 2.]
“You have answered “no” to this question. At the tone, please state your current status within the program.” [“I have not yet taken the DUI driving class but I am in the process of scheduling this class as soon as possible.”]
7. “Please be advised that any information provided by you which is found to be false will be considered a violation of your Conditions of Supervision and may result in your return to this Court for this violation. Do you understand this requirement? If your answer to this question is “yes,” press 1! If your answer to this question is “no,” press 2!” [Defendant presses 1.]