The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Debris from Yesterday

June 2, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Work late morning, early afternoon, and must work again tonight.  Just enough time to take Mway out about 2:30, give a quick account here using problematic Microsoft programs, and cool off in pool.  This morning Moi said she didn’t take Mway for morning walk.  Reason: dew on weeds make for too wet a walk.  Understandable.
 State of the Path:   Just down to the creek and back.  See debris from clippings yesterday.  As I walk along, pull up whatever weeds I can casually grab with my hand.  See several different types of butterflies and Dobson fly-like insects – no time to identify.  See frogs.  May apple leaves starting to turn brown.  Mway doesn’t wade into the creek – odd.  Just stays at my heels the whole walk.
State of the Creek:  Pretty much like yesterday.
The Fetch:  Lilac stick today.  More fetches than I care to count.  Mway passes me at juncture to main path, to beat me back to porch.

3 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

There you go.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there I went. But I was still a little disturbed by a couple things. If “I” referred to a speaking creature, why didn’t the picture of the little boy show him speaking? And why was Taxi Dog speaking? Yes, a dog can speak, in a manner of speaking, but never sufficiently to refer to itself as “I.” I kept looking at the first picture in “The Adventures of Taxi Dog,” which shows Taxi Dog sticking its head out the taxi window and seemingly staring right at the reader. Could Taxi Dog be speaking to me? I wondered. My mind was awhirl looking at “I”s,” “boy”s, and “man”s. Then there were those funny marks around the “I” sentences in the Gingerbread Man story. I suspected they indicated that the creature was now speaking, but why wasn’t there any of those marks around Taxi Dog’s words? To answer these questions – to fully understand the concept of the first person pronoun – I had to accept a most fundamental fact about human language. M.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there’s a grammatical error in your entry today. Should be “dew on weeds makes for too wet a walk.” M.