The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, June 24, 2011

Goldenrod Scrapes Against My Thighs and Crotch

June 24, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  Same chores as yesterday, only about an hour earlier.  Some of the peeps have ventured as far as the spruce tree before I let the bigger chickens out, and they all gather together wherever I throw some feed for them.  Last night I worked, but Moi was home to take Mway for her afternoon walk, or at least to throw stick for her.  It’ll be the same situation today; I’ll have to go out shortly after noon to do some afternoon work also.  It’s about 8:15 by the time I’m ready to accompany Mway down the path.
State of the Path:  The heat doesn’t hit me as strongly as it did yesterday, but, again, it’s an hour earlier.  But though an hour earlier, there’s no more dew on the weeds.  I’m struck by how much the touch-me-nots (more specifically, spotted touch-me-nots) look bedraggled; where they’ve flowered, the flowers look withered.  Audubon describes the flowering period as July – October. Since they’ve flowered so early this year, I’m curious to see how they fare later on.  A lot of grape vines around the side path along the orchard; I’ve beaten down a lot of blackberry shoots, so the blackberry brambles don’t seem to be overtaking the path; at the end of the side path, though, the goldenrod is so thick that the path has all but disappeared: as I walk along, the goldenrod stems fall in front of my chest, scrape against my thighs and crotch, and spring back up behind me. Except for the fleabane and what I think is Queen Anne’s lace in the upper field, most of the white in the field is gone.  Something ruffles through the weeds down by the creek: probably a mouse or a vole, though it could be a snake.
State of the Creek.  Each of the pools that I noted yesterday is still there, but each one has shrunk a little, with fresh mud at its rim.  The newly exposed mud at the rim of the pool at the log jam seems buckled upward, as though something has buried itself underneath it.  Water striders crowd what little water is left in a couple of the pools.
The Fetch:   Again it seems like my muscles are sore as I bend down to pick up the stick; maybe I’m just not used to using them so early in the morning.  In contrast to me, Mway is a dynamo, fetching the “pro-quality” stick more times than I care to throw it.  After a number of fetches, she comes back to me holding the stick in her mouth.  I start to turn around, but I see she’s not following me: she wants to play “Put it down.”  So I turn around and scold her, “put it down!”  It’s the last fetch I want to do; as Mway brings the stick back, it gets caught between my legs so I almost stumble.  On the way back on the path, a briar catches on my shirt sleeve, and I think to myself that I must remember to bring something along on my next walk to cut these briars back.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

How about one more time?

Anonymous said...

How would you spend your last night on Earth? “Oink! Oink!” grunted the pig. “Want to roll in the mud?” What do you look for in a girl? “Where am I?” thought Sue. “Pay attention, then. Find the left eye – the left eye of the skull. Do you know your right hand from your left?” Left lung. Left ventricle. Right ventricle. Left atrium. Where’s Arnold? He got left. And they lifted my spirits right out of the gutter! I dragged and I sagged and my spirits were low, as low as I thought that they ever could go. The gingerbread man hopped out by himself and ran out the kitchen door! Out stepped a tall man, I could see. He and his wife would look out the window. Just then all three mothers came running outdoors. “Out to the end!” screamed Legrand. “Are you out to the end yet?” yet conj: but nevertheless: BUT But try as she might, she could not get the slipper on. She reached for the ignition key, but instead she pushed a strange little button nearby. “But we must do something to protect ourselves,” said his wife. “But we Yooks, as you know, when we breakfast or sup, spread our bread,” Grandpa said, “with the butter side up.” “I know that,” Sue said. “I know that,” Sue said. “You know your right hand from your left?” “I know what you will want to see first,” Johnnie’s grandmother said. But, as usual, Ms. Frizzle knew. The next thing we knew, we had flowed into the heart. “It’s heartfelt and there’s adventure and it really captivates the audience,” says JTT of the Adventures of Pinocchio. Chances are this heartthrob will be getting some R&R this summer. Vincent Kartheiser Melts Your Heart! Heartburn, also known as pyrosis, is a painful, burning sensation in the esophagus. Heartwood. See Sap. Heartworm. See Dog (Medical care). Medical care. If you suspect your dog is sick, you can take its temperature with a rectal thermometer. He wondered if it would be shabby of him to eat the De Sotos. if…conj…in the event that, allowing that…. Perhaps someone will make some for you -- that is, if you ask nicely enough! “Your grandfather can see. You do not have to say that.” They’ve brought up a gadget that’s Newer than New. And that was the end of the gingerbread man. And the spider caught the fly in her web…just like that! M.