The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Insect Crawling in the Grass

November 3, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:   Moi eventually decided to let me take her to the hospital; the procedure went well, especially after the doctor and nurse IV’d a sedative when Moi showed “anxiety.”  We were out from 6:30 to 11:30 and came back to a cat eager to come in the house, and a dog eager to go out.  I have to work tonight, and may have to leave early to a do some work for my other job, so I think the best time for me to take Mway for a walk is now, about 12:12.  She’s already outside, so I have to go and put on my walking clothes.
State of the Path:  My long shadow follows me across the yard.  I look up at the sun, not having realized how low in the sky it is this time of year even around noon.  Mway turns onto the side path, but I’m in a rush now and continue straight ahead, Mway catching up with me shortly.  The main sound today is some sort of whiny rumble coming from the McDevelopment.  I don’t know what kind of machine it is, but I imagine it to be some sort of suction pump for clearing out the sewer line.  I almost forget to check on the new wildflowers.  I walk back to look at the second one: whatever it is, it’s still there.
State of the Creek:  I intend to look at my shadow when I get down to the creek, but I forget to.  Instead I look at the decomposing grass, leaves, and weeds turning black in the water; they seem to form a sludge that floats halfway up the depth of the water and seem to be in the process of slowly settling to the bottom.
The Fetch:  Up at the clearing, I see one insect (a grasshopper?) crawling lethargically in the thin grass.  Neither Moi nor I fed Mwayla this morning (except for two biscuits), and Mway fetches the stick like her next meal depends on it.  I don’t know – surely over 20 fetches, then we go to level 2 for four or five more, which I stop on my own.  Back at the house, I fill her dish.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

You’ll notice I haven’t set out the “I” volume. Not until you clean up some of your papers.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I’ve noticed. But it hardly matters today. Where’s my pencil? I can’t find my pencil. MM.