The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sunday, No Day for a Walk

November 21, 2010.  Sunday.
Situation:  This morning, while I’m sitting here in my office before heading out to my full day of work, Moi comes to the doorway and says “So I suppose you’re not going to take Mwayla for a walk this morning?”  (I guess I set a precedent these last few days.)  “No,” I say.  “And that’s because you don’t have time to write about it afterwards?”  I nod.  “Don’t you think that’s a little bit crazy?” she says, twittering her fingers beside her ears to indicate the insane thoughts of a mad man.  Before I leave, she comes back to me with the report that, when out with Mway, she saw what looked like a new plant growing in the water of the creek – she took a picture of it with her iPhone.  When I come back from work, some 9 hours later, it’s too dark for me to take Mwayla for a walk then.

4 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

One sheet of paper, set down on the floor. The “K” volume (part of “J-K,” I now remember) is already out. The pencil you now have is your last – make the best of it.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say this – but “K” is a rather sprawling letter, its double side-branch forking across the entire sheet of paper. MM.

sisyphus gregor said...

This is the same problem you’ve been having – you start writing out too big! I know you know how to write smaller – eventually as you go along your writing begins to shrink to miniscule size. You should start out small! Then you’d have more space. As for the “K” chapter, you’re just going to have to squeeze the words in around the “K” – to the left of it, to the right, below it, under it, in between -- wherever there’s white space. (You must have done something similar when you were revising your other chapters!) And no writing on the floor! And what is this? – I see papers strewn about the floor again! I have to use the music room tonight, and I don’t want to have to step all over them! And they’re all wrinkled up, apparently from you walking over them! I’ll have to pick them up, and I’m inclined to just throw them out (but I’ll stack them up by the sofa)! Furthermore, I want you to know that last Friday my car broke down – my little compact station wagon that many times you have greeted in the driveway as I pull up in it! The mechanic called up about it today, and it looks like it will be too expensive to fix and I’m going to have to think about shopping for another car! At my income level, this can be a fretful, time-consuming undertaking!

Anonymous said...

Quite often you make good suggestions – I will try to follow them. Those papers you mentioned were most of my “D” and “G” chapters, which I never did make revisions to simply because I did not know where to write them down. Happily, your suggestions may address this problem also. MM.