The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Boy Does the Honors

January 6, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Early this morning, before sunrise, I am awakened by Moi getting ready to go to W________ for jury duty.   I hear her walking back and forth, complaining about the weather, about having to rush and take Mway out.  She leaves, and although I fear I won’t, I do fall back to sleep.  I wake up about 10, check my email, and see I have no rush work to do today.  I don’t have to leave for my job tonight until about 4, so I plan to take Mway for a walk in the early afternoon.  As it turns out, Moi has told Jungle Boy to go out and feed the chickens, and he decides to take Mway for a walk.  When he returns I ask if he went down to the creek and if Mway fetched the stick.  He says yes.  He says that he was hoping to take some photos of wildlife, but a walk with Mway is not the best occasion for that, because she scares any wildlife away.  Since he took Mwayla out already, I guess I’ll forego a walk with her today.  I feel a little guilty, but not too much.