The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, January 21, 2011

Spot a Dead Mouse

January 21, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  Have to leave for work today around 3:30.  At 2:30, Moi and Mway are still taking a nap, but I go downstairs to suit up and decide to interrupt Mway’s nap if I have to.  While I’m suiting up, though, Mway suddenly slinks into the kitchen.
State of the Path:  Mway takes a pee near the chicken pen, then a dump on the path just before the sumacs.  While she’s taking a dump, I spot a dead field mouse on the path.
State of the Creek:  Just as the ground seems a little more frozen today, so the creek is starting to ice up a bit.  In a deep spot beyond one of the rock cascades, cow piss foam has formed into a brown scum in front of a thin sheet of ice.
The Fetch:  Just two fetches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

June 16, 1904. Thursday.
Situation: Have to work about 10 am today. When I wake up, Mulligan is shaving. I eat breakfast with him and Haines, who’s been crying out in his sleep and keeping me awake at night. Mulligan gives the milk lady some money for milk, but I guess I’m supposed to pay the rest when I get paid. After breakfast, they go swimming, and I leave my key on Mulligan’s shirt. I plan to take my solitary walk after work, around 11.
State of the Beach: There’s a lot of broken shells and dried-up seaweed on the sand, but fortunately my boots are in pretty good shape and I walk across the stuff without worrying too much about it. I even walk with my eyes closed for a while, pretending that I’m blind and tapping with my walking stick. A couple of old ladies come down the steps of a terrace, and start sinking in the sand and getting their fat legs covered with grit. After a while the sand disappears and I find myself pretty much just walking on pebbles and shells, then I end up in an area that smells of sewage. I think about going to my aunt’s house, but I start daydreaming about going there and for that very reason miss the turn. Pretty soon, because I do some more daydreaming, I end up walking closer to the water, with the sand slipping away from under my feet, so I head up to the road to sit down on a rock. Part of a boat’s sunk into the sand, and beyond there’s a dead dog carcass. Suddenly a live dog comes running along, and I worry for a moment that it might attack me, but fortunately it doesn’t see me. A man and a woman come walking behind it. The man yells at the dog when it starts sniffing the carcass. When the dog slinks over to the man the man kicks the poor dog with his bare foot, then the dog goes over to pee on a rock. It starts digging in the sand for something. The woman glances at me and my hat; I check my pocket to make sure I still have the letter my boss gave me at work. I feel my teeth, and realize I really need to go to the dentist. I have to blow my nose, but then I remember I lent my handkerchief to Mulligan and he never gave it back to me (would I use it if he had?), so I pick a big runny booger from my nose and lay in on the rock, looking behind me to make sure nobody saw me.
State of the Sea: The sea looks pretty much the same as it did yesterday, dark, wine colored. I watch the tide coming in, and the seaweed bobbing up and down in it. I spot a ship in the distance.
The Fetch. The man and the woman don’t throw any stick for the dog, and as I mentioned before, the dog doesn’t see me, so I don’t throw a stick for it either. M