The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Slip on Some Mud

January 19, 2010.  Tuesday.
Situation:  Today I work in the late morning and early afternoon.  Before going to work, while sitting at my computer between 8:30 and 9:00, I hear Moi walking from the bathroom to her bedroom and Mway out in the hall barking for her walk.  Mway used to bark at me in the afternoons too, but over the years perhaps I’ve yelled at her so much about that, that lately I haven’t heard any noises out of her as she’s waiting for her walk except loud huffs and pants of excitements and maybe a squeal or an occasional squeaky yawn.  I get home from work before 3, but Mway and Moi are napping, so I go into my room to read and rest.  But no sooner do I do so than I hear them walking around outside my door, and then there is a phone call for me (from of all people, the Sun-Gazette).  Since I’m up I take Mway out around 3:30.
State of the Path:  Though she doesn’t bark as she’s waiting for me to suit up, as soon as I open the door, Mway dashes off the porch and runs down the sidewalk to the chicken pen to bark at the chickens.  Today, though, the chickens have already retreated from their pen and gone into the coop, and Mway, slightly disappointed, can do nothing but sniff at the coop door.  As we round the corner and pass by the pig pen, she also starts snooping around that and eventually ventures into the door.   By the time, I reach the sumacs, though, she is back on the path and following me toward the creek.  Even though there is no snow or ice on the ground, I have brought my walking stick with me, and I’m glad that I have, because now the mud is slippery, and down by the wigwam, where run-off water tends to stream together before entering bug land, I actually slip on some mud and almost fall, only catching my balance thanks to the walking stick.  Beneath the mud, the ground is still frozen, but thawing, and at places where I step I feel the ground give way with a crunch.  Mway reaches the creek before I do, and I see her taking off on the path along the creek, sniffing at the ground a lot as she does so.  As I leave the path along the creek and step on the plank that crosses the drainage stream of bug land, then come into the area of the red willow shrubs, I see that the ground there is especially porous and seems to be giving way and eroding at places.  I take the side path along the skating pond, using the foot holds I made yesterday, but with some difficulty, as the mud there is slippery too.
State of the Creek:  The water is a little lower today, and it’s starting to lose its greenish gray color and turn browner.   More of the ice is gone; the berg that I spotted at the bend yesterday has melted away, but a little farther down I spot some clear planks of ice sitting on top of the grass of a wash-out area, and then, looking very carefully, I spot a whole shelf of ice resting against the bank underneath the oaks.  I almost don’t see it because it is brown with mud and silt, and almost looks like an area of dirt.  But with my walking stick, I can make the whole thing bob up and down in the water.
The Fetch:  On the other side of the ridge around bug land, as you head to the clearing, there is a low, run-off area that is getting wetter and wetter each day, and because of the way the water and the brambles lay, when I’ve been walking here, I’ve been forced to step for the past few weeks on a huge ant hill that is slowly getting quite squashed.  Mway is already waiting for me as I arrive at the clearing, and she starts spinning around in circles as she waits me for me to position myself to throw the stick.  I throw it once toward the exit of the clearing, just short of the briars so she doesn’t get tangled in them.  She brings the stick back, spins around and barks, and next I throw it toward the electric pole, well within the clearing.   She dashes off after it, brings it back, and again drops it at my feet, spinning around and barking.  This is fetch number two, I think to myself, and again I throw the stick toward the pole, expecting perhaps that we’ll go on with quite a few fetches today.  But as she’s running back with the stick in her mouth this time, she swerves away from me and goes dashing off up the path through the briars back toward the house.  She is already at the back door, and has dropped the stick on the back porch, when I come trudging into the back yard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most noble effort today – you take pains to describe things in considerable detail and at times even very concretely: “she swerves away from me and goes dashing off up the path through the briars.” Yet, overall the writing still seems rather diffuse. If you’re not going to consult Ulysses, which you now have in your hands, for instruction, why not just give it back to me? I prefer a book whose pages are loosened from the spine. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

Damn it, M! It’s now not even just a question of “showing” rather than “telling.” You expect me to sound Joycean!

Anonymous said...

Why not? Joyce has a prominent spot on your bookshelf, his works wedged between the Cantos of Ezra Pound and Freud’s The Interpretation of Dreams on one side and Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man on the other. Next by on the shelf are various works by Samuel Beckett, Joyce’s most -- O Universe -- humble and devoted secretary. M.