The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, May 27, 2011

Flowers Nod above the Brown Water

May 27, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  This morning Moi and I removed the pool cover, and after consulting an email she sent to me last year, Moi finally found where she stored some of the important parts to the pool filter, so soon a daily swim should again become part of my summer routine.  Moi cleaned off the back porch yesterday, and at first I couldn’t find the “pro-quality” stick, but I finally saw it lying on the ground.  I take Mway out about 2:30, just before getting ready for work tonight.
State of the Path:  I’m in a rush today, so just take the main circuit down to the creek and back.  From the sumac trees down to the maples, a lot of weeds to tramp down or tear off as I’m walking: goldenrod, sweet grass, honeysuckle bushes still growing, a leaning multiflora stem and blackberry shoot.  One of our McNeighbors is out in his yard: it seems the male of the tribe cannot go outside without operating a machine, be it a lawn tractor, a minibulldozer, whatever.  I have no idea what this guy is operating today.  But he doesn’t shut off the machine until I’m walking back through the walled garden and can see through the trees his white shoulders plying at some evidently important task.
State of the Creek:  White flowers of the multiflora shrubs nod along the bed of the barely moving brown water.
The Fetch:  One fetch today.  On the way back, Mway suddenly drops the stick and ventures sniffing into the weeds.  I look at where she finally stops but don’t hear or see anything, and I keep moving on, eventually having to toss the stick forward into the path so Mway, when finally she starts following me, can have it, as customary, to carry back to the porch.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Where’s the best spot for the chair? I can make sure I position it there every time I leave the office.

Anonymous said...

The front legs should be even with the edge of the rug. Today, for example, the legs are pushed back too far, and I feel myself either slipping down the back of the chair or plunging forward into the keyboard. M.