The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Goldenrod Waist High

May 24, 2010.  Monday.
Situation:  Work this afternoon, and when I get home, before I start the task of mowing the lawn, take Mway out about 3:15.  Yesterday while looking through the Audubon I thought maybe the yellow flowers I saw yesterday were some kind of cinquefoil, and I started a search online, which yielded nothing definitive.
State of the Path:  Some of the goldenrod is now waist high, and on the side path along the orchard, it is starting to obliterate the path in places.  Some of the new green shoots of blackberries, which I was worried about not seeing just a few days ago, are now nose high.  I see a few ragweed shoots coming up in the path.  Mostly, though, the path is still visible, especially as I mentioned before, where water had coursed down it this spring, and in places like along the wigwams and down at the seeps even some bare ground is still visible.  I look again at the new white flowers, and note that they are something distinct from the goose grass among which many of them grow.  On the path along the creek, jewelweed is starting to hedge in along the sides.  I look again at the big trees, and realize that, though two of them are locusts, at least one of them still looks like some kind of ash.  Where yesterday Moi showed me how the path was getting undermined, a multiflora bush burgeons out and makes passing along the path here even more difficult.  Coming along the ridge, I forget to look at the yellow flowers which I’ve been trying to identify.  I realize that what Moi pointed out as dogbane yesterday is indeed a different plant from all the goldenrod around.
State of the Creek:  Mway wades into the creek to cool off, its waters growing ever more shallow, locust flowers still lying on top of it.
 The Fetch:  One fetch, with the “pro-quality” stick, and that’s enough for me as well.  I have forgotten before to mention this, but in the clearing there is a strip of clover, with white and pink blossoms.  Back at the house, Moi lets Mway inside, and when I get at the door I don’t see the stick.  So I let Mway back out, asking “Where’s your stick?”  She scoots down the porch to where she left it, then starts hopping up and down, urging me to throw it.  “No,” I tell her, “you’ve already fetched it, once.”

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Looks like your leg is still hurting. Moi tells me she took you for a brief walk this morning, but you still didn’t want to do any fetching. I guess we’ll have to suspend this interview until you feel capable enough to hop up and down on my office chair again. You’re probably wondering why I picked you up and carried you down to the cellar last night, where we sat in grit and gloom for a while. You didn’t like being picked up. You squirmed and growled and looked around at my arms like you wanted to bite them. The reason we went down there was that there was a tornado warning last night, same storm system that devastated Joplin, Missouri, and Moi forced us all down to the basement to wait it out.

sisyphus gregor said...

May 23, 2011
High winds rip trees, power lines, buildings near Northumberland
By Joseph Deinlein, The Daily Item
NORTHUMBERLAND — What officials believe was a low-level tornado tore through a section of Route 147 in Point Township, north of the borough, on Monday evening, downing trees and power lines and damaging between six and 10 buildings.
Winds left a veritable forest on Route 147 in front of the home of David Englehart, who said he saw a funnel cloud take shape at the treeline near the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. By the time he turned to tell his 84-year-old mother to get in the basement, the wind blew the kitchen door shut.

May 24, 2011
TRAFFIC ADVISORY: Routes 11 and 147, Northumberland
The Daily Item
NORTHUMBERLAND - The busy intersection at Route 11 and Route 147 is closed this morning following a tractor trailer crash.
The rig overturned at the intersection just after 6 a.m. and traffic is now being detoured. A spokesman for the state Department of Transportation said southbound traffic on Route 147 will be detoured at Route 45 near Montandon.
Route 147 did reopen at 11 p.m. Monday following the storm damage, but traffic is now being detoured because of the truck accident.

By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press, Garance Burke – Tue May 24, 3:56 am ET
OAKLAND, Calif. – A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.
Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have."