The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Rush Past Burdock, V-turn into Clearing

May 12, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Work tonight, have additional work beforehand.  Moi, working all day, breaks to come home for a nap.  I don’t have a chance to take Mway out until 2:30, and then I’m in a rush, so just take her for a short walk.
State of the Path:  I take the reverse route, going down the path by the summer house, where there are big burdocks growing in the path.  I go this way to check out what I know to be some black walnut trees, and to compare them to the tree I was looking at yesterday.  The black walnuts look like the tree down by the creek, so I’m pretty sure that’s a black walnut too.   Continue on down toward the strawberry path.  This part of the path, which we seldom take anymore, is not so well worn.  Make a V-turn into the clearing.
The Fetch:  Bring the “pro-quality” stick; Mway makes less than five fetches.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Why wouldn’t you have thought that “singing” meant something more like “howling”?

Anonymous said...

It’s a fine distinction, that’s true. But although I’m not very musically inclined myself, I am fond of music, and I’ve spent many hours, as you know, in the music room listening to you play the piano and sing, so I should know something about what singing is. But it’s true: at the time I picked out the symbols “singing,” “song,” and “sang” in “The Adventures of Taxi Dog,” I probably didn’t make the distinction in my own mind. That would have come later when I came across the word “howling,” as I did in a caption to a picture in the book “White Fang.” Maybe we can discuss that later. But for now I think you should ask me about this. In the same passage from which I selected the words “singing,” “song,” and “sang” as denoting the prominent actions in the accompanying illustration, the word “a” occurs three times and “she” (or “She”) occurs twice. Why didn’t I think one of those words might refer to the action? M.