The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, May 19, 2011

An Oak Grows through a Locust

May 19, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Work tonight, and I get ready to take Mway out about 1:30.  As I’m putting on my clothes, Moi comes home and opens up the bedroom door which Mway had closed upon herself.  Mway comes over to stand and stretch in front of my doorway.  My socks are still wet from yesterday.
State of the Path:  I see Mway rushing into the outbuilding, making a clangor as she runs through tools and junk.  When I pass the open doorway, a feral cat runs up the back steps.  I call out to Mway to leave the cat alone, but she doesn’t catch up with me until I’m walking down the side path along the old orchard.  In the spot of field in the middle of the side path, a number of multiflora bushes, crushed from the winter snows, still lie dead, with seeming no prospect of regaining life.  I scare the same robin out of the same bush I’ve done twice before.  Down by the wigwams, I spot a little hole in the path – it doesn’t look like a hole made by water, maybe a snake hole?   The same frog I saw in the jewelweed yesterday hops away from my approaching feet exactly as it did yesterday.  I take another look at the oaks around the locust tree – there are exactly two of them, and they have straight trunks like the oaks at the corner of the property.  One of the oaks is growing straight through some of the branches of the locust tree, which is multi-trunked, and whose branches are dead where the oak tree grows through them.  Among the red willows, which crowd the path between the swale from bug land and the ridge around bug land, there are numerous maple saplings.  In bug land itself, numerous maple seedlings have sprouted; it looks like poison ivy coming up, which I see numerous places along the path, particularly before the feed channel and along the strawberry patch.
State of the Creek:  Several frogs leaping into the brown pools of water.  See a white flower fall into the water; must be a blossom from the locust trees.
The Fetch:  Bring along a smaller stick today, one of several I had found on the rug in the music room.  Mway makes more fetches than I care to count.  As she runs through the goldenrod and sweet grass, you can hear the plants whipping against her body.  Mway plays “Put it down!” twice; on the last toss it takes her about thirty seconds to find the stick in the goldenrod.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

So why wouldn’t you just think you were suppose to read all the words on the left-hand side first, following them downwards like an acrostic, then sweep across the page, following the words up and down, without regard to lines?

Anonymous said...

Good question. And for a time sometimes I did just that. But once you start recognizing words in combination, such as article and noun, “a song,” “a ride,” you quickly realize that words that are read up and down don’t make much sense: “My I around I I but belong sit New ride name.” M.