The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Feel Dizzy in the Windblown Goldenrod

September 8, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  As it turned out, Moi never had me hold the ladder for her: “I’m too tired to paint now,” she said, “I can paint better in the morning.  There’s no rush to get to it tonight.  The windows aren’t going anywhere.”  I work tonight and have to leave about 3:30.  This morning Moi and I meet with a lawyer about some financial concerns; after lunch (Moi has cereal I believe, and I make my typical brunch of Ramen noodles, with a stir fry of a scallion, turnip greens and Swiss chard, tomatoes – all from the garden – with garlic wings leftover from my Sunday work), everyone takes a hour nap.  I read a bit from “Where I Lived, and What I Lived For.”  It’s now 2:12, and I just have time to squeeze in a walk with Mway.
State of the Path:   At first I can’t find the birch branch.  The other sticks on the bench are too small for my liking, so I ask Moi if she’s seen the bigger stick.  She tells me to look in the music room, but all I find there is a small stick like the ones on the bench.  I pick it up to take it outside, and Moi now tells me she found the birch branch under the bushes beside the porch.  Before I can grab it, Mway, who’s already outside, snaps it up and starts running off with it.  I tell her to drop it, because I want to use it also as my walking stick.  Like the good dog she is, she eventually does drop it, and we head down the path.  I forget to take a whiz in the walled garden, but then I’m reminded of what I need to do when Mway takes a pee at the juncture of the main path and the path that leads to the clearing.  After my pee, we continue down the main path.  It’s a windy day.  I look at Moi’s pink wildflowers and regret that I didn’t bring my Audubon along with me – I remark that it does look awfully like smartweed, but I’m sure it isn’t.  There doesn’t seem to be as many insects out today; could it be because of the wind?  At the swale to bug land I see one of the lavender asters growing there, and at the feed channel, which I don’t cross, even more have come up there.  I finally spot again the white asters – and looking at them today, I start wondering if they could be simply fleabane.  As I head up to the clearing through the goldenrod, the wind picks up and the yellow spikes start to sway, and I begin to feel that same strange sensation I felt the other day (almost a feeling of disembodiment).  I pause, look down, take a deep breath.  The wind stops, and I start walking again toward the clearing, hoping to make it there without the wind again picking up.
State of the Creek:  At the tree stand, Mway descends into the dry creek bank.  When she comes back up to the path beyond the honeysuckle, a leafy vine is draped over her snout.  Among the rocks of the dry creek bed, there are a lot of crinkly brown leaves – leaves which must have already fallen this season.  Barely a puddle at the log jam, and barely two puddles at the narrows.
The Fetch:  I find my mind wandering, as Mway fetches the stick again and again.  Indeed I find it composing the very sentences I’m writing now, and catching myself at this, I tell myself to stop and pay attention to what’s around me.  A yellow butterfly flits over the goldenrod, fluttering in my direction.  The Queen Anne’s lace is curling up into itself.  After several fetches, Mway has soaked the birch branch with her saliva.  She snorts, perhaps from breathing in goldenrod pollen or swallowing some birch bark.  I can easily smell the astringency of the goldenrod today, or perhaps it’s an odor coming from the two small ragweed plants Mway and I are trampling to death at my feet.

5 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Barb and Dennis evacuated their home, arrived here at 9 this morning. Moi is leaving Albany just now.

sisyphus gregor said...

Moi just called. She’s stranded in a motel because of road closings. Won’t be home tonight.

sisyphus gregor said...

September 8, 2011
Northeast: Worst flooding since Agnes in 1972
STATE COLLEGE — AccuWeather.com reports the worst flooding since Agnes in 1972 is just beginning in the valley of the Susquehanna, forcing hundreds of thousands from their homes in Pennsylvania and New York.
More than a foot of rain has fallen in some areas, and the rain is still falling. It is possible flood levels will eclipse those of 1972.
The fire hose of tropical downpours held steady Wednesday and Wednesday night, too steadily for the Susquehanna River, its tributaries and others to handle.
Water levels on these rivers will challenge record heights, which include those of the first billion-dollar disaster for the U.S.: Hurricane Agnes. Lee and its remnants will be the latest.

sisyphus gregor said...

A certain no one in particular has not been eating all the dog food in her dish this past week. There could be several explanations for this. One is that this certain no one, because of the flooding rains, has not had a good walk down to the creek all this week, and her appetite has been diminished. I don’t know if this is the correct explanation, or even a plausible one, but it is at least an explanation. I haven’t liked this not being able to walk down to the creek anymore than anyone else. But it’s just been too cold and rainy to make that walk, especially since clothes haven’t been able to dry well and boots haven’t been able to dry at all. No one in particular will have noticed that I’ve kept to a grueling schedule of two stick fetchings a day, despite having to go out in the rain in damp clothes and boots filled with mudwater – the stick has not been ignored in all this. Late this afternoon the sun finally came out for a brief period, and it should be appreciated that a full walk down to the creek was undertaken, despite the bent goldenrod slapping water against my breast and the mud sloshing around in my boots.

sisyphus gregor said...

A walk, climaxing in a fetch – this seems to remain the central, indispensable life activity of a certain no one in particular I am not addressing.