The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tired After Cleaning Out the Gutters

September 29, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Work tonight.  Because it’s supposed to rain hard tomorrow, Moi enlists me to clean out the gutters and spouting, or at least what we can reach.  I wear myself out crawling around on top of the back porch roof, then I have to hump some equipment for my work tonight and wear myself out even further.  I’m tired when I call Mway for her walk, about 2.
State of the Path:  Leaves crinkle underfoot.  Pull out a goldenrod or two as I walk along.  When I get down to the maples, start seeing a lot of little brown birds, the hardest to identify.  White butterflies over bug land.  Down at the creek, I do recognize a female cardinal – at least I’ve learned that much this year.   At the swale, an Arum honeysuckle sports its berries next to a bunch of New York or New England asters flashing their flowers, nice contrast of red and lavender. 
State of the Creek:  The pools have turned black, probably from rotting leaves.  They sit there, being what they are – I’m waiting for tomorrow’s rain.
The Fetch:  Toss the stick within the clearing, trying to get Mway to beat down more of the goldenrod.  But she usually returns with the stick down the path she’s already beaten down.  The area we’ve both beaten down forms a kind of dumbbell shape in the middle of the clearing.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

And since I appear to have your attention, I just want to say that, whatever I may ever have done or ever said, I have just been trying to give you the best life that I can, without any greater inconvenience than I presently incur.

Anonymous said...

U ayooiaw tiy glcw vwwb siubf rglr, U ayooiaw U agiyks vw felrwdyk rglr tiy;cw alxeuduxws ai nyxg ri oeicusw nw rgw kudw id l diik,