The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Look Again at Flower with Long Green Sepals

September 15, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  The last couple days I’ve gone into the pool after our walks, even though it’s numbing cold.  I used to hate swimming in cold water, but the last few years I’ve come to find it very exhilarating.  I haven’t been doing my usual twenty laps; basically I just go in, scoop up the dead bugs and leaves, and swim a couple times around; I’m going to hate giving up the pool for the season (although afterwards in the house I shivered for about an hour).  I never know what day work might be emailed to me.  Today it turns out I have some that I should do within the next couple days, plus I have night work for the next three days.  I think I’m going to spend a couple hours today on the day work, just before my night job begins – both jobs are just a couple blocks away from each other.  That means, if I’m going to take Mway for a walk, I should do it about now; it’s 11:17 in the morning.  Right now Mway’s sleeping in front of my bedroom door.  Since Moi probably already at least threw stick with her this morning, it’d make more sense to take her out later in the afternoon, but I don’t think Mway ultimately cares.
State of the Path:  At first I think I’m going to have to find a new good stick, but then I decide to just use what’s left of the birch branch, and take my old walking stick along with – I need the walking stick today, not just to brush away weeds, but lately my arch muscles on my right foot have been sore, and I can use the support.  I need to take a whiz, but I don’t think about it till I get down to the wigwams.  I have to lean both sticks against a maple and remove my gloves before I take it.  I hate to admit it but I still have hopes that Moi’s “smartweed” will any day now suddenly appear with elongated flowers; but of course again I’m disappointed.
State of the Creek:   In the dry creek bed, in front of the oak tree with the exposed roots, a green ground plant has started spreading.  Then just down from this, I spot a yellow daisy-like wildflower fully in bloom.  This looks to me like the plant with the green sepals, so I go to the crest of the skating pond to find that plant.  At first I can’t find it, but when I do, it looks the same as when I last viewed it, the green sepals looking like petals and the paint-brush flowers looking like pistils.  I don’t know if these are the same plants or what; I hope in the next few days I’ll have time to bring the Audubon along with me.  
The Fetch:  Mway fetches the stick like she hadn’t fetched the stick with Moi just a couple hours ago – and when I hear her barking, I remember that this is what awoke me this morning: Mway barking while Moi threw the stick for her in the yard.  After a number of fetches Mway plays this game where she gobbles at the stick in her mouth, letting it slip loosely between her jaws while she growls.  This is the little prelude to where I’m then supposed to yell at her to “Put it down!”  I guess I’ve described all this already before, but her gobbling seems especially emphatic today.

No comments: