The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, April 29, 2011

Confirm Morrow's, Still Not Sure About Pink Bush

April 29, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  Moi wakes me by clanging something in the bathroom, and when I get up I have the impression that she’s already taken Mway for her morning walk because the dog is lying in her bedroom and not pacing around.  So I don’t take her out for a walk until about 2 pm, an hour and a half before I have to leave for work.
State of the Path:  This morning I did more research online about honeysuckles bushes and learned much I think about Tartarian (pictured in Audubon), Morrow’s, Arum, and bella or pretty honeysuckle.  So the focus on my walk today is to try to identify the honeysuckle bushes better.  When I inspect the first couple bushes I encounter, by the outbuilding, by the pig pen, and out along the orchard, I do find today, contrary to what I thought yesterday or the day before, that they do have slightly hairy undersides, which seems to be the distinguishing characteristic of the Morrow’s honeysuckle.  None of the bushes I look at have an egg-shaped leaf with a tip at the end, so this seems to rule out any Arum honeysuckles.  The only other really different honeysuckle bush I encounter is down by the creek, beneath the big trees, closest to bug land.  This one has pink flowers that have not yet fully opened, and could be the pretty or bella honeysuckle, although this could be a Tartarian honeysuckle instead, which can have either white or pink flowers.  I see some bumblebees flying around the bushes as I look at them.  And the leaves are starting to come out in the big trees by the creek – pretty soon I’ll be able to tell if they’re oak or something else like ash.  These big trees are engulfed by the honeysuckle bushes, as well as by multifora bushes, and you don’t see any leaves on them except way high up.
State of the Creek:  Don’t pay much attention to the creek today, except to note that the sun is shining in the water and showing up the moss growing around rocks and sticks in the water.
The Fetch:  Because the gnarled stick broke yesterday, I bring the “pro-quality” one today.  Although she doesn’t overtly complain about it, and indeed shows nothing but enthusiasm, Mway only fetches the stick about four or five times.

3 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

Yet you say a dog can understand a few spoken words. “Stop your fucking barking for chrissakes” is one example you give. I’m intrigued by this, because it seems to me that you don’t understand what this means.

Anonymous said...

Just because I don’t respond to it doesn’t mean I don’t understand it. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

Determined Americans descend on London to brave crowds and celebrate royal wedding
• Article by: SYLVIA HUI , Associated Press
LONDON - For hardcore fans of the British monarchy, sitting glued to the television with popcorn just doesn't cut it for an occasion like a royal wedding.
Instead, hundreds of American anglophiles — armed with colorful hats, Union Jacks on sticks, and boundless enthusiasm — have flown to London to be in the thick of it, even if the throngs may make it hard to actually see the royal couple….
What is the draw for people without prized invitations to Westminster Abbey? They say they want to soak up the atmosphere, hoard souvenirs, and, most important, catch a glimpse of the couple's public smooch on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.