The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Monday, April 25, 2011

Have to Go to NYC Instead

April 25, 2010.  Sunday.
Situation:  With Moi and Barb in one car, and the Boy and me in another, we drive to NYC to set him up in his Harlem apartment.  As I expect, we don’t get home until after dark, and there’s no walk for Mway from me today.  I learn when we pick up Barb that Moi only asked Dennis to let Mway out, not to take her for a walk, but I suggest to Dennis that he could fetch stick with her if he wants.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

You have made the comment, regarding websites that purport to teach a dog how to read, that they are “misguided and misleading.” Could you elaborate on that?

Anonymous said...

I’ve only viewed the two sites that you mention – both enlist the process of operant conditioning: give the dog a treat when it recognizes a word on a flash card. But as I try to explain, a dog must hunger for the word itself. Giving the dog a biscuit will only distract it from that pursuit and actually hinder its reading development. M.