The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Oak is a Maple

April 23, 2010.  Friday.
Situation:  This morning I picked some dandelion blossoms for my breakfast.  Unfortunately, our cool lawn does not get as many dandelions as a typical overheated suburban lawn does, so I didn’t have as easy a pick, this early in the season, as I would have liked.  But I did get a sufficient number of fairly good-sized ones, dipped them in “free-range” eggs and coated them in panko bread crumbs, and fried them in bacon grease.  I ate them with bacon, lettuce and a spring onion from our garden, and some more eggs that I scrambled and fried, and I sprinkled a dollop of olive oil over the whole thing.  Work tonight, and take Mway out about 2:30.  She’s waiting for me in the kitchen.  I select a smaller stick for her today from the pile kept on the porch bench.
State of the Path:  Yesterday I could have mentioned that the hedge garlic was starting to flower, although I didn’t notice that until I got in my car and saw some of the flowers under the lilac trees.  Along the path, the only place you see much hedge garlic is around the pig pen, and today I do notice that some of the plants are sporting little white flowers.  Along the old orchard, I see a new spot of jack-in-the-pulpits springing up, just before the monkey vines and the boxelder tree.  Down by the creek, I break off a few multiflora briars that are dangling down into the path.  Then down by the big oaks, I start to survey the trees for their leaves – most of the big trees here have not yet gotten their leaves.  One tree has some poison ivy starting to grow up at the bottom of its trunk, and in its crook are some of the yellow star-like flowers that I’ve been unable to identify.  I take a look at the big tree across the creek, where I had seen the red-bellied woodpeckers earlier this year, and which I’ve been calling an oak tree – the leaves on it are now a lot bigger, and I’m pretty sure I can see now that the tree is not an oak, but some kind of maple.
State of the Creek:  The sun is shining into the brown water, and the minnows and water striders are out.  In a few places I see what I think is duckweed growing, but there’s not much of it.
The Fetch:  It does seem to me that Mway prefers a smaller stick.  More than three, less than ten, fetches today.  On one toss, she overshoots where the stick lands; it bounces up and hits her rump, but she spins around and catches it in the air with her teeth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rgw Swcwkionwbr id Kurwelxt ub rgw Dlnukt Sif

N.

Oler >

sisyphus gregor said...

Chesapeake gets DEP notice of violation after well incident
BY ERIC HRIN (STAFF WRITER)
Published: April 23, 2011
TOWANDA - The state Department of Environmental Protection wants answers from Chesapeake Energy Corp. about Tuesday night's blowout incident at the company's natural gas well site in LeRoy Twp.
The state agency sent a notice of violation, dated Friday, to Chesapeake Energy requesting further information, including a complete list of materials in the fracking fluids used at the site… Tuesday night's incident began with an equipment failure at the drill site, causing hydraulic fracturing fluid to be released into the environment, including into Towanda Creek and an adjacent tributary. Seven families were relocated from their homes as a precautionary measure on Wednesday… DEP stated that its investigation has, to date, revealed violations of the Clean Streams Law, the Solid Waste Management Act, the Oil and Gas Act, "and the rules and regulations promulgated under these statutes”....The DEP said its investigation found that "pollutional substances generated from activities associated with hydraulic fracturing were not contained. Specifically, an unknown quantity of frack fluid was released from a gas well on site," which was a violation of the department's regulations….Also, the DEP said the investigation found "a pollution to waters ... near the well site. Specifically, an unknown quantity of frack fluid was released from a gas well, that entered an unnamed tributary to Towanda Creek, a water of the commonwealth," which is a violation of the Clean Streams Law.