The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Take Advantage of the Boy

April 21, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Here’s how difficult it can be to identify a bird.  Around noontime today I saw out our kitchen window a bird perching on the trumpet vine that grows up a post of our front porch (and grows through the roof by summertime).  I had a very good view of the bird and had a long enough time to observe it to go upstairs and get the Audubon bird book, leaf through its perching bird section several times, then even go find a paper and pen and jot down the color features of the bird and leaf through the Audubon again.  Here’s what I wrote down as the color features: black and white wings with brown tail feathers, brown nape and cap, black beak and a black goatee-like spot under its beak, white belly or breast with a black and white neckerchief or crest.  I found nothing in the Audubon to fit this description: no chickadee, no sparrow, no wren, no finch, no swallow, no vireo, no warbler, no thrasher – I’m even leafing through the damn book again – nothing.  What kind of bird is this?  I work tonight, and I was prepared to take Mway for a walk sometime before I leave around 3:45 pm.  But around 2:15 I hear the Boy taking Mway out the door and then in the distance the sound of her barking which means that the Boy is tossing a stick for her.  I’m going to take advantage of this – and not take Mway for a walk today.

2 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

You want me to interview you – that would be your Part ??

Anonymous said...

I think that would be the best way to present the material: more or less as a dialogue. I could of course pose as the interviewer myself, but then I would just be talking to myself. I trust you to ask the right questions. Though you’re hardly a master of prose, you are nevertheless one of my masters, and though you may flout the laws of man, you make the law for me. (I depend on you; unlike Kafka’s dog, I know where my food comes from.) But if you need some help with the questions, I can coach you along. M.