The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Choppy Snow

February 13, 2010.  Saturday.
Situation:  Moi and I both work tonight.  At noon I suggest that we go out to eat at Arlene’s – as we’ll be eating also later tonight at work, Moi complains that two full meals are too much to eat in one day.  I take Mway out about 3:45.  Down in the kitchen, I’m happy to see that she hasn’t disturbed my boots.   As I put on my snow suit, Mway charges at Squeak, who rears up on her hind legs.
State of the Path:  Mway takes a dump first by the chicken coop then on the path before the pig pen.  She’s full of energy and runs way ahead of me, just past the sumacs flipping over on her back and rolling in the snow.  It seems tougher walking today;  the path is choppy, a combination of hard packed ridges, icy foot prints,  and powder, which too many times gives way to my walking stick and fetch stick (which I’m still using in tandem like ski poles) or causes my feet to slide off to the side of the path.   Up above the ridge along bug land, I spot more sumac berries on top of the snow, mouse prints too, a few rabbit turds on the path.  The climb up the path to the clearing is even more tiring than yesterday.
State of the Creek:  Down from the corner property post, some of the snow has given way to the appearance of water.  But from the log jam on down, snow still covers the creek same as before.
The Fetch:  Mway has to wait for me for some time as I’m trudging up the field to the clearing.  Like yesterday she has an easy time fetching the stick where the snow’s been packed down, and I lose track how many times I throw the stick.  A number of times, though, probably in her excitement, she drops the stick short of my feet, and I have to coax her, “Bring it all the way here,” after which she picks up the stick with a growl of exasperation and tosses it at my feet.  Eventually I start throwing the stick into the snow where it’s not packed down, which forces Mway to have to dig it out.  She grows tired of this quickly -- a couple of these throws and she’s ready to head back to the house.

No comments: