The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, February 4, 2011

A White Object

February 4, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  Have to leave for work around 3:30, get ready to take Mway out about 2:15.  I open Moi’s bedroom door – the two have been napping.  Mway is standing behind the door, and for a moment poises as if to play the game that the Boy and I unfortunately taught her at one time and have never been able to unteach her – that of heaving herself against the door to slam it shut then hopping up against it and barking at the transom window.  But I yell at her, “Come on!” and she shoots out the door.
State of the Path:  Mway runs toward the summer house, apparently after a squirrel she must have spotted.  She runs way ahead of me on the path.  Looking across bug land, I see a white object at the other end down by the red willows.  When I come up to that area, I look more closely and see that it’s a white flower pot or piece of PVC pipe – maybe washed down from Moi’s wigwam.   My orange wool cap is caught in a lot of sagging multiflora briars today – these I will have to trim back sometime.
State of the Creek:   Mway again stops to check out the log and barrel jam.  Despite what I might have said yesterday, the blood is still perceptible on the log and on the ice.
The Fetch:   Three fetches.

No comments: