The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It Doesn't Matter It's Washington's Birthday Observed or Presidents Day

February 15, 2010.  Monday.
Situation:  No work today: it’s a vacation day, though an unpaid one.  Take Mway out around 3.
State of the Path:   More sumac berries on the snow, more rabbit turds on the path, spots of brown or yellow urine here and there.  Walking’s about the same.  My cap gets caught a lot, and I tear away a few hanging briars and branches.  Across the field the snow looks just a little older and grayer on this gray day.
State of the Creek:  Still covered with snow, though in a few spots, the snow seems to be melting down into a gray slush.  Walking along the creek, I first hear, then see, a green two-propeller helicopter flying over the ridge above F_____ Road.
The Fetch:   This is one of those days I just don’t feel like tossing a stick.  Fortunately, Mway only makes two fetches, and heads back to the house.

5 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

M? Just checking in on you. Seems like it’s taking a long time for you to come up with something about how you learned to read. Took no time at all for you to put up, whadjacallem, Exempluary 20, 2010, and June 16, 1904.

Anonymous said...

This is a very different. It requires some research, and since your office library is limited, I have to snatch info from here and there. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

It requires research for you to say how you learned to read? Why don’t you just report what you did?

Anonymous said...

That would only satisfy your curiosity; it wouldn’t convince the world that I can read. If I don’t elaborate carefully how my learning to read is a possibility, it doesn’t matter what I might actually have done: people will believe that I’m just you pretending to be me and that you’re just talking to yourself. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

Yeah, that’s what Moi’s been saying I’m doing.