The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Foot Sinks into Mud

February 27, 2010.  Saturday.
Situation:  Moi and I both work tonight, have to leave about 5.  I take Mway out about 3:15.
State of the Path:  Moi is out checking her chickens; Mway runs over to the cage to bark at them.  The snow on the path is soft today, with a soft slush underneath.  Lots of animal prints running in all directions.  Through the maples, I see Mway checking out the area where there was a big spot of urine and scat a few days ago, but she returns to the path without rolling in anything.  When I get down to where she was, I’m surprised to see the same urine and scat that was there a couple days ago, but which I then didn’t see after it had snowed.  Just before the pin oaks coming down to the creek, my foot sinks through the snow into mud – one of the seeps at bug land – and leaves a muddy foot print.  At most places along the walk, the snow in the fields is not much deeper than the snow in the path
State of the Creek:  Only traces of the slush that was there yesterday remain; what I wrote in it is, of course, gone.  There is foam and scum in places where the water is dammed up, especially behind the log and barrel jam.
The Fetch:  About four fetches, and Mway runs off to the back yard.  When I catch up with her there, she is grappling with the stick.  I wonder what she might be up to, but when she sees me, she picks up the stick between her teeth and follows me to the back porch.

1 comment:

sisyphus gregor said...

Yesterday when I looked for the waterfall, it was gone. Just a riffle where it once was. I realize now that the waterfall only appears if the water is just the right height. Too high, and the water flows over the rocks without spilling. Too low, and the water is just broken up. Only at a certain height does the water spill over the rocks and form about a six-inch, continuous cascade. All last year I must never have seen the water at that particular height.