The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Three Rolls in the Snow

February 19, 2010.  Friday.
Situation:  Work tonight and have to leave about 4:15.  Take Mway out about 2.  I don’t bother to put on my walking clothes, but suit up in the same clothes (a newer pair of jeans and a cleaner shirt) I’ve been wearing all day to go to the dentist and to drive Moi back and forth to the garage.
State of the Path:   Wish again I had sunglasses, but I hadn’t bothered to put in my contacts to go to the dentist and I have no clip-ons to put on over my glasses.  The snow is starting to slush up on the sidewalk, but it and the path, and the ground all around, are still covered with snow.  But my sticks do not have as much snow to plunge through before they hit the ground, and in a few places the foot prints we have placed in the path have almost melted all the way down to dirt and grass.  Three times on the way to the creek, Mway flips over on her back to roll in the snow.
State of the Creek:  The water is running in a low stream along much of the creek; only in shady places, such as behind the log and barrel jam, does the snow still reach from bank to bank.  In front of the log jam, there is a berg of ice floating in the brown water; downstream some, in front of another pile up of sticks and leaves, some cow piss foam floats on top of the water.  Birds are chirping and singing in the trees.  Coming up to the clearing, I see and hear two crows flying overhead.
The Fetch:  As I enter the clearing, Mway has taken off up the path to run after something or other, and I have to call her back.  I throw the stick once where the snow is packed down; she brings it back only half way, but barks loudly.  I throw the next stick a little farther, placing it into the untouched snow, and Mway dashes after it, has not too much trouble digging it up, and brings it back.  Three more fetches in like manner, and Mway decides she’s done for the day.

No comments: