The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Back to Wearing the Snow Suit

March 13, 2010.  Saturday.
Situation:  Moi and I both work tonight.  I take Mway out about 3.  Because it looks rainy and cold outside, I go back to wearing my snow suit.
State of the Path:  Despite the breeze and drizzle, I again hear starlings and soon see them in the trees of the old orchard and in the back hedgerow.   Because of the drizzling rain, I hike pretty fast down to the creek and back, walking along the sides of the path to avoid the mud in the middle.  Down along the creek especially, it seems to me that bright green grass is starting to grow in the path, and in a patch of soil that was washed out by floods a month or so ago, I see green sprouts of something or other coming up – maybe gill-of-the-ground.
State of the Creek:  The water is flowing along soupy green like yesterday.  Here and there, in low spots in the creek, I see bright green patches of grass.
The Fetch:  Although she’s been ahead of me the whole walk, when I get to the clearing, I don’t see Mway and have to call out to her.  Pretty directly I see coming around the bushes around the electric pole, first a rabbit, and then Mway following after it.  I think for a moment that Mway will keep on chasing the rabbit, but when she sees me at the end of the clearing with the stick in my hand, she abandons the chase and comes over to me to stand ready for the toss.