The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Friday, March 11, 2011

Can't Find the Binoculars

March 11, 2010.  Thursday.
Situation:  Work tonight, take Mway out about 1:30.   Again I put on the denim jacket, rather than my snow suit.  I also decide to take the binoculars, but I can’t find them – did Moi take them with her to work?
State of the Path:  Outside I immediately take off my jacket and drape it over the clothesline.  The starlings are out again.  They’re not flocking in large numbers, but I hear them and see several of them swooping from tree to tree.  In the big tree behind the outbuilding I see a bird with a long tail perched – I wish I had the binoculars.  But as I get closer, it takes off, and I think what I see may be a female cardinal.  In fact as I walk along the old orchard, I see it again, flying through the trees toward the back of the lot.  At the back hedgerow, I then spot about twenty redwing blackbirds perched high in a tree.  As I get closer, they take off and fly to the next tree, then as I approach again, they take off again for yet another tree farther away.  In fact, I end up chasing these birds down the hedgerow then up along the creek, and at the midpoint along the creek they’re joined by another group of birds (sparrows?) and by a squirrel running from branch to branch.
State of the Creek:  Mway crosses the creek and sniffs around on the opposite bank, and above the log jam she even walks along for a while in the stream.  She then takes off ahead of me, and in fact she may be the one rousing the birds and the squirrel to move hectically from tree to tree.
The Fetch:  Mway only gives me about four fetches today, but they are a vigorous and enthusiastic four fetches.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This past week, for whatever reason, you didn’t take me out Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Finally, Thursday, just as Moi’s going out, you arrive and put on your boots. Snow is melting. Streams are flowing everywhere through the field. I chase a rabbit up into the neighbor’s back yard. We do our jobs in the clearing. I was smiling nearly all night. Then, today, I hop up onto the chair to stare into this computer. Those blotches above my eyes – what are they? My legs -- I can’t believe how skinny they look. Like sticks. And that blubbery tongue…M.

sisyphus gregor said...

By MARTIN FACKLER
Published: March 11, 2011
TOKYO — Rescuers struggled to reach survivors on Saturday morning as Japan reeled after an earthquake and a tsunami struck in deadly tandem. The 8.9-magnitude earthquake set off a devastating tsunami that sent walls of water washing over coastal cities in the north. Concerns mounted over possible radiation leaks from two nuclear plants near
The death toll from the tsunami and earthquake, the strongest ever recorded in Japan, was in the hundreds, but Japanese news media quoted government officials as saying that it would almost certainly rise to more than 1,000. About 200 to 300 bodies were found along the waterline in Sendai, a port city in northeastern Japan and the closest major city to the epicenter.