The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Probably a Blue Jay

March 1, 2010.  Monday.
Situation:  Moi is working, surprisingly, all day today on a new job.  I have work to do this afternoon.  I take Mway out about 11, before heading to work.
State of the Path:  Blues skies in parts of the sky.  Moi has chopped all the ice and snow off the sidewalk on the way to the chicken coop.   Though the fields are still covered with snow, along much of the path, half the snow has melted way.  Down by the creek, in particular, I see small clumps of green grass here and there.  Coming up toward the clearing, I see a blue bird (probably a blue jay) flying across the field.
State of the Creek:  I note green moss on the creek bank’s southern exposure.  Water is moving steadily, though the scum remains behind the log at the log and barrel jam.
The Fetch:   About five fetches today.  Brown grass is showing in the area that has been packed down.  When I toss the stick farther out beyond the packed down area, the stick slides across the snow before Mway scoops it up between her teeth.

When I get home from work about 4:30 --- Moi is not yet home – I decide to take Mway for another walk, although I really don’t want to.  It’s not the first time I’ve taken her for more than one walk in a day.  I debate with myself how much of a walk to take and finally decide on a full walk, down to the creek and back.  I even put on my walking clothes.  Mway does not greet me when I get home, but when she hears me downstairs putting on my boots, she comes down and stretches.   Out in the back yard, Mway squats in front of the chicken cage, then wanders around to the side of the chicken coop – the chickens at this time in the afternoon are already inside roosting.  Mway follows me toward the pig pen, overtakes me on the path, then squats again.  Looking over her back, she decides I’m too close to her, then runs ahead to the fork in the path in front of the sumacs, and squats a third time.  She then starts venturing toward the sumacs, but I change my mind about going down to the creek, and start heading right to the clearing.   She follows me, then overtakes me, getting there before I do.  I toss the stick one time.  It sinks into the snow.  She fetches it and then runs past me to head back to the house – one fetch total.

No comments: