The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mockingbirds?

March 3, 2010.  Wednesday.
Situation:  Work tonight.  Take Mway out about 1:00.
State of the Path:   Though not as loudly as yesterday, I hear birds chirping all along the walk, the distant moans of mourning doves.  Coming up to the clearing, I see a crow fly overhead, a sparrow or something in a shrub, then two fairly large birds flying toward the skating pond, with brown and white tail feathers – I see these birds all the time, but damn it if I know what they are, or can find a picture of them in our bird books; they seem too small to be hawks or falcons; could they be mockingbirds?   Where the path is half melted away, I stay on the snow side, because the ground is muddy.   In the bare patches between the snow, I see a lot of what I call garlic grass – this may be stuff that has been here all winter but is now reappearing as the snow melts.
State of the Creek:  The water’s not quite as high as it was yesterday late afternoon, but the stream is still flowing strongly.
The Fetch:  Mway greets me up at the clearing.  The area that was packed down is bare and soggy, so I step off into the snow to toss the stick.  One fetch – what seems like, yes, one token fetch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just tell me to stop it, if I’m doing something that in your judgment is something inappropriate for me to do. Just write it out in plain letters followed by an exclamation point: “Stop it!” M.

Anonymous said...

I don’t always know when I’m doing something that, in your judgment, is wrong. M.

Anonymous said...

I think I’m doing something that is right. But, if you think it’s wrong, just tell me. M.

Anonymous said...

Just say “Stop it!” “Stop it!” M.

sisyphus gregor said...

No, M, what you’re doing is good. Keep it up, take your time, do a good job.