The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Squeeze in a Quick One

March 19, 2010.  Friday.
Situation:  Work late this morning, early afternoon.  Also have to work tonight.  Manage to squeeze in a walk about 3:15.   Early this morning Moi tells me to be on the look out for colt’s foot, the first flower of the year.  She has seen them around the skating pond in previous years.
State of the Path:   Mway dashes out the door.  The chickens are on the side of the house, and she ignores them, and heads down the path.   There seems to be less water on the path by Moi’s garden pond, but elsewhere the path is still soggy and muddy.   I hear birds, but I’m not paying too much attention to them today because I’m in a hurry.   But nevertheless I do run into them, starlings by the hedgerow, redwing blackbirds that I startle up by the skating pond on my way to look for colt’s foot (which I don’t see any of).  I manage to get across the feed channel, but I really have to dig foot holds in the muddy bank and be careful how I step to avoid stumbling into the water.  On the way toward the back hedgerow on the side path along the old orchard, I’m surprised to see what I’m pretty sure must be a butterfly – is it a fritillary?
State of the Creek:  The creek is running gently, iron brown.  More water striders in the pools.  As I’m walking along the creek, I hear a bird high in a tree on the other side scolding me much like a bird was doing the other day.  When I look up I’m surprised to see a gray bird with a red head.  I know this could be a female cardinal, but it also looks to me like some pictures I’ve seen of a woodpecker.
The Fetch:  5 fetches.  Good enough.  I follow Mway back to the back yard.  Before I get there, I hear Moi’s voice yelling to Mway, “Knock it off!”   When I get in the back yard, I see Moi digging in the vegetable garden, and Mway wandering around without her stick.  I ask Moi about the red headed bird I saw, and she confirms that it could have been either a female cardinal or a woodpecker.  I then yell to Mway to find her stick.  She looks around for it a little bit, but finally finds it, brings it to me, and starts hopping up and down, coaxing me to toss it again.  On another day, I would do so, but today I simply carry the stick back to the porch, Mway hopping at my side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Show me the dog’s moves probably what I originally wrote then I went back threw in a how show me how the dog’s moves then I went back took out the s show me how the dog’s move still that pesky tick that nasty apostrophe sitting there on the dog’s rump how could the poor dog be expected to see it dog had to move on keep its dog head high do its dog’s dog job still that pesky tick sitting there on rump just before the stump tail g’s og’s dog’s dogs dont no its their till nighttime into skin sinks it’s tickling maw sucking s’god blood. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

I’ve been re-reading my blog since I finished it last year (something to do), and I was astonished not to find the grammatical error M and I have been discussing. The apparent apostrophe must have been a speck of dust on the computer screen.