The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Concerned about the Chickens

March 15, 2010.  Monday.
Situation:  I only have a little work to do this afternoon, so I decide to take Mway out about 12:15.  When I put on my boots, I notice that they have split apart at least in one spot where Moi had cemented them.  There is dried mud on the legs of my snow suit.  My biggest concern today is that the chickens are out of their pen, free roaming – I even saw them wandering down the lane earlier out of our living room window.  A few years back, Mway had run to death our previous flock of chickens, and Moi has been hesitant to let this new flock roam around the yard for fear Mway might do the same to this flock.   However, last night Moi had Mway out while the chickens were roaming free, and it seemed to her that Mway might now be okay with them.  Still I have to be a little concerned and make sure that Mway doesn’t run them to death.
State of the Path:  I consider bringing a leash along in case Mway starts chasing the chickens, but the best leash is tied up to a plastic wire rope out on the porch, and it seems like too much trouble to untie it.  Also, I see that Mway doesn’t start dashing after the chickens, so I figure we’ll probably be all right without a leash.  The path is in pretty much the same condition as it was last night, wet and muddy.  Between the outbuilding and the chicken coop, a grape vine is sagging down in the path.  I see that it’s been broken at one end, so I bend it back to one side to get it out of the way.  I take the side path along the old orchard, and see streams of water flowing from the orchard – these are the streams that eventually go down through the maples.  By the back hedgerow, I see some redwing blackbirds, a couple goldfinches, and two rabbits.  Down by the wigwams, I see and hear water again trickling into a hole as I did earlier this year.  I don’t take the side path along the skating pond – the mud on the banks still looks too slippery.*   
State of the Creek:  The water is a little lower today, but it is still running strongly.  The froth of foam at the log jam has spread out across the water.
The Fetch:  Four fetches today.  My theory is that lately it has been more convenient for me to take Mway for her walk earlier in the day, and that with supper so far away at that time, Mway feels that these early afternoon walks are extra walks, and that she does not really have to work so hard as she would on a walk that occurred, say, right before supper time.  My biggest concern, however, as she runs off back to the back yard, is that she doesn’t start chasing after any of the chickens.  Fortunately, when I get into the back yard, I see that she’s standing up on the porch waiting for me to let her in the door.  Inside, I don’t feed her, but I do give her half a biscuit, to show her that her fetching the stick (and also that her not disturbing the chickens) is still appreciated.
ADDENDUM!!!:  Tonight, after dark, as I step outside to get something out of the car, I again hear peepers.

*I had first written “the mud on the banks looks too slippery still.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arelufgr lr rgw nlb gw klybxgws gua ibw gybsews lbs diert oiybsa id dyet,