The beginning of wisdom, as the Chinese say, is calling things by their right names. (E. O. Wilson, as cited by Elizabeth J. Rosenthal, Birdwatcher: The Life of Roger Tory Peterson)

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pick Up a Blue Jay Tail Feather

March 2, 2010.  Tuesday.
Situation:  Moi works again all day today, as she’ll be doing all this week.  I have work to do in the afternoon, so I take Mway out about 12:30.   All morning Mway has been lying in her room, waiting for this moment, and she clops down the stairs as I’m suiting up.
State of the Path:  Hear birds chirping as soon as I get out the door, a crow, and off in the distance what I’m pretty sure is a mourning dove.  Though the fields are still covered with snow, the path along bug land is almost completely bare with just grass showing.  I don’t see any of the birds I can hear, until I’m coming back from the fetch, and see a cardinal flying through the old orchard.
State of the Creek:   Just before the log and barrel jam, on the other side of the creek, I see what are definitely yellow and green sprouts of something or other.  On this side of the creek I’m surprised to see some animal has chewed some multiflora stems, despite the thorns on them.  There is slushy ice in the feed channel, but it is solid enough to step on.  The golf ball is again visible.
The Fetch:  Three fetches.  Back in the house, I give Mway a biscuit.
ADDENDUM:  I didn’t expect to, but again I take Mwayla out for a walk, around 5:30, after Moi too has come home from work.  At this hour, I no longer hear any birds.  Coming back around the side path along the old orchard, I see a rabbit running through the briars down toward the maples.  Mway, who has been sniffing all over the place, doesn’t see it.   Coming down to the creek, I realize I can hear it before I reach the bank, and when I get there, I’m surprised to see how high the water is – a brown strenuous stream, flowing vigorously over the rocks, much higher than it was earlier.  At the log and barrel jam, the first log, which had been trapping scum behind it, has sunk slightly into the water, and the cow piss foam is piling up against the barrel and churning slightly in the current.  As I walk along the creek, I note many grassy patches in bug land, where the snow has melted, and, what I didn’t notice earlier, a number of puddles.   Beneath some multiflora, I spot a blue jay tail feather on the ground and stick it in my pocket to bring back to Moi.   Up at the clearing, just three fetches.

4 comments:

sisyphus gregor said...

So how’s the writing coming, M?

Anonymous said...

Please don’t rush me. Maybe I did something wrong in saying I would tell you how I learned to read. If you want me to stop putting together a statement, just let me know, and I’ll stop. M.

sisyphus gregor said...

No. It’s just that it’s been – what? – about a month since you said you were going to do this.

Anonymous said...

I don’t want to write up something and then feel compelled to append apologies to it, like some people do. But if I’m doing something wrong, please let me know. I’ll stop. M.